[Firewall] Gawk... strictly required?

Philip A. Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Tue Mar 10 19:00:14 CET 2009

I just installed and ran 1.9.0c nightly build with Astlinux trunk (0.7
precursor), and it failed to start because gawk was missing.

I'm not sure that we're leveraging enough gawk-specific things to make
the firewall be that closely tied to gawk.

I remember trying to use ${foo:2:} to get substrings of $foo and was
told "that's too bash-specific", and changes have been made to have the
firewall run in a dash-only environment... so it seems like an odd
reversal of policy to be limited to gawk for no compelling reason.

Can we undo the dependency on gawk?

Thanks,

-Philip