[Firewall] gawk etc. why not just use perl and be done with it?

Avuton Olrich avuton at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 17:54:02 CET 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 6:23 AM, m laks <mlaks2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Most linux distributions have perl installed (and it is easier for me to read than shell ;)) and it  has all this stuff in it already... It might make growth and  development much much easier...
> Mitchell

Question that is asked often of different open source projects, and
usually comes down to what tool best fits the purpose. For me, bash
(and GNU utilities) is much easier to read, much easier to do exactly
what I'm looking to do. I know both languages, PERL definitely to a
lesser degree, but for me personally bash feels more natural, and I
know I can take it to /any/ computer I have running or any other
computer that I know of and it works as intended (I usually try not to
use anything over posix shell unless it's really required).

Secondly, I don't know if "growth" is really an advantage. It's nice
to have a program others can use, add to, and even better to have
others finding bugs. There is usually not some great gain by trying to
scratch everyone's itch.
--
avuton