[Firewall] Passive FTP Help Please

Wolfgang Farquar: aka, BugEye humpydumore at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 17 03:21:35 CEST 2011

Hi All,

I'm having a little trouble getting FF 5.0 and Opera to deal with passive (from a shell I connect fine) ftp and I'd like help writing these as custom rules in a format Arnos`can understand. I'd also like to know whether it's practical or defeats any of the standard rules. Arnos`is unmodified with no plugins loaded:

$ iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 21 -j ACCEPT

$ iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --sport 20 -j ACCEPT

I'm running a simple Westell 6100, the latest 2.0.0b fw and the latest Slack.. nf_nat_ftp and nf_conntrack_ftp are both loaded. Everybody works with the fw down. Please advise - TIA.

Stephan