[Firewall] Linux 3.4.2 Kernel - ipt_LOG --> xt_LOG

Adam Young ay-arno at fizhoo.com
Mon Jun 18 18:39:48 CEST 2012

Good day.

First, thank you for the firewall script. I have been using Arno
IPTABLES Firewall in one capacity or another for several years.

- Ubuntu Server 11.10 on a VPS
- Just upgraded to 3.4.2 Linux Kernel
- Arno IP Tables Version:  2.0.0.b-1 (from the standard 11.10 repository)

Rebooted server and the Arno IPTables Firewall script complained about
the module "ipt_LOG" not being found:

"WARNING: Module "ipt_LOG" failed to load. Assuming compiled-in-kernel."

Everything is still working fine. The previous kernel I was using
(3.0.18) didn't complain.

After looking into this issue, it appears the 3.4.2 kernel combines the
ipt_LOG and ip6_LOG into xt_LOG. The kernel I am using (3.4.2) already
has the xt_LOG compiled in. See http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_3.4 for

It appears the Arno executable tries to "modprobe" the ipt_LOG module
and it complains. I think the warning is harmless, however, I at least
wanted to bring it up in case the new combined xt_LOG had any
ramifications that I am unaware.

Please let me know if you need additional information or if you have any

Thanks again.