[Firewall] Help with Adaptive Ban Plugin

Gene Cooper gcooper at sonoracomm.com
Tue Oct 16 19:46:19 CEST 2012

Hi Folks,

I use AIF to protect a (colo) production hosting box in a data center.
(CentOS 5, Virtualmin)

I have used Fail2Ban in the past.  It works well; it's reliable; it's a
little bit a pain to set up.

Since I already have AIF installed (2.0.0b IIRC), I thought I would
investigate the Adaptive Ban plugin before implementing Fail2Ban.  The
brute force scripts are starting to impact performance.

Is the Adaptive Ban plugin appropriate for general use?  I'm mostly
concerned about mail- and ftp-related services and SSH (which I have on
a non-standard port).

If there is any documentation on plugin usage or Adaptive Ban plugin in
particular, please point me in the right direction.

I am specifically looking for a howto to implement the AB plugin.  Or
even just useful comments.

Thanks in advance,

Gene Cooper
Sonora Communications, Inc.